While most every other consumer end basketball manufacturer does not produce a portable basketball hoop backboard larger than 54 inches, and certainly not made of glass, the Spalding model 74560 portable basketball system features a 60 inch glass backboard. Glass is a superior product to comparable backboard sizes made in acrylic or polycarbonate because glass provides you a better rebound comparable to what is used in a collegiate or even professional setting.
The 60 inch backboard size gets you as close a regulation sized backboard as you can get in a portable system. The Pro-Image breakaway rim helps stand up to aggressive play. This basketball system is especially popular amongst high school and collegiate basketball players as well as coaches. With the backboard being made of tempered glass this basketball system will play very close to what your high school and rec center boards play.
• Dimensions: 60 inches W
• Backboard Frame:
• Extension Arm Type: (the arms that attach the backboard to the pole) Spalding's Z-arm assembly allows for extreme stability.
• Backboard Material: Tempered Glass (clear see-through)
• Backboard Thickness: 1/4-inch
• UV Backboard Graphics:Yes. Ensures graphics and borders won't fade over time.
• Backboard Frame Pad:No frame pad included on this model as it has a stylish high-end aluminum trim all the way around the border.
• Overhang Distance: 24" from front of pole to back of backboard.
• Regulation-size rim (18" diameter).
• True breakaway rim mount.
• Dunking: Yes. This rim holds up very well to aggressive play.
• Net included: Yes. Net is a standard 12-loop net.
• Net attachment: Attaches to rim via welded metal hooks like in the NBA. No plastic clips.
Height Adjuster Mechanism
• Height Adjustment Type: Uses the Screw Jack Lift height adjuster by Spalding.
• Adjustment Details: One handed lift system for convenient adjusting. Allows for both children and adults to play.
• Rim Adjustment Heights: 7.5-feet to 10-feet in infinite increments.
Portable Base and Pole Specs:
• Pole Diameter: 2 section, 5-inches square with pole cap to prevent rain in pole.
• Pole Material: Steel with powder-coated finish to prevent rusting.
• Pole Color: Black
• Main Pole Shape: Square with rounded edges.
• Pole Pad: Pole pad not an option on this model.
• Ground Sleeve: Not Applicable
• Anchor Kit: Not Applicable
• Base Material: Expandable plastic. Designed to freeze solid with water in winter. No anti-freeze necessary.
• Portable base size: 55 gallons. Base footprint 37” x 65” It holds 59 gallons total (both bases combined)
• Fill Material: Fill with water or sand. Fill plug on top and drain plug on side of most models for portability. About 50% of water may be drained to easily move around. Replacement caps available through the manufacturer's customer service.
• Wheels: 2 wheels in front and 2 in back. Handle allows for convenient rolling to another location. Replacement bases available through the manufacturer's customer service.
Other Specs and Features
• Portable base can be filled with sand or water.
• Warranty: 1-year Spalding warranty on Poles, Bases, Rims (and accompanying hardware) and 5-year warranty on portable glass models.
• All metal parts are powder coated to help resist rusting.
Portable basketball goals can be a head scratcher at times. You want something that is easy to move and transport, as well as a unit that can be folded up when it's not used. On top of all that, and depending on the level of play, you want something stable, durable, and one that won't easily be tip over. You just have to analyze your needs and wants, and be ready to compromise unless you have a lot of money, space, and manpower.
Portable basketball systems can be rated from Youth to Beginners, Residential to Institutional, up to Professional level of play. Whatever your situation may be, you want a system that is easy to set up, safe, and a unit that matches your level of play. Ultimately, two of the most deciding factors are economics and the amount of playing space you have.
Most players either wish they can slam-dunk, or they already can. Slam dunking can be fun, and rewarding, but it also poses a safety issue if you don't have the correct type of system, and the right amount of ballast weight installed in the base of the portable system. Simply spoken, without the correct amount of counterbalance weight, the unit can tip over, and possibly fall on top of a player. Please do not compromise on the cost to make your unit safe for all age groups!
When choosing your portable basketball hoop you need to consider the function and strength. You want something built to high standards that can withstand rough play. You also want something that is not going to be cumbersome to move. You want a portable system that is equipped with a caster wheel system that makes it easy to tote your system from storage to the playing area. Most portable basketball systems can be moved by one or two persons.
Most portable systems are adjustable for two main reasons; one popular reason is for players of all ages, and heights to play with the portable hoop. Another main reason is for storage purposes. With this feature, the system can be folded down, and collapsed into a compact position which is ideal for transporting. Remember, purchase a portable basketball hoops that is durable and one that is safe. There are many to choice from, but that is why we created this website, to help make your buying process a little easier.
Designed for young players and/or any beginner that wants to try their hand in the game of basketball. Most of these portable systems are inexpensive, that way not a lot of money is tied up in a basketball system if they lose interest.
Designed for adults and/or advanced players who need a system to meet and exceed their demands and skill set. This baskeball portable system can be used as a top-quality residential system, or placed in a church or recreational center
Designed for a series level of competition. Must be official and regulation size systems. You can find these types of portable basketball systems in College and NBA arenas.